Captain Willis House slated for demolition

The Planning Board has voted to send a favorable advisory to the Zoning Board on the application of John and Blakely Stinebaugh, of Old Greenwich, Conn. to demolish the home known as the Captain Willis House on Corn Neck Road, and to build a new single-family dwelling and accessory structure.The home was originally built in 1860, and has at times, been operated as a bed and breakfast. It is part of a cluster of at least four homes built by members of the Willis family, including the Breakers, across the street. The Stinebaughs purchased the property in March of 2020 for $1,325,000. It was last sold in 2004 for $1,464,300 and extensively renovated in 2005.The Planning Board had closed the public hearing on the project at a previous meeting, and on May 4 the task was to go over a checklist – “performance standards” – that neededto be satisfied, develop special conditions, as needed, and to vote on an advisory.Member Chris Willi recused himself as it was his first meeting as a newly appointed member of the Planning Board and he wasn’t present for the original discussions. Member William Rose recused himself as he has a business relationship

Block Island Times – Read More>>